We are proud to introduce Kylene Smartis as the Northeast Georgia Medical Center (NGMC) Graduate Medical Education (GME) General Surgery program coordinator.
Kylene joined the GME team in 2017 after spending four years in various other positions within Northeast Georgia Health System. She earned a Bachelor of Business Administration degree from California Baptist University and Master of Arts in Education and Master of Arts in Educational Technology degrees from Azusa Pacific University.
She has a wealth of business and educational experience. She worked in the insurance brokerage industry for 14 years, where she was instrumental in developing a voluntary employee benefit trust. She later changed to a career in education, where she taught middle and high school mathematics.
Kylene, along with General Surgery Program Director, Charles M. Richart, MD, FACS, FCCM, are preparing to welcome the inaugural class of residents in July 2019. Her responsibilities include:
- Assisting the Program Director in compiling and submitting reports to ACGME, AAMC GME TRACK, the American Board of Surgery and the NGMC GME office
- Complete and update annual program information for ACGME, AAMC GME TRACK and the NGMC GME office
- Monitoring and facilitating meetings and review processes
- Assisting in the implementation of improvement plans
- Creating, maintaining and distributing department specific policies, procedures and information
- Being a liaison between residents, faculty, affiliated hospitals and teaching locations
- Facilitating resident onboarding, orientation and licensing
- Coordination and administration of specialty board examinations, in-training examinations and training certifications
- Managing ERAS residency applications
- Monitoring duty hours for accuracy, violations and trends for program director review
Kylene was born in Southern California and moved to Georgia four years ago. She now lives in Maysville, GA and has parrots, dogs and cats. She enjoys taking her dogs on outdoor adventures throughout the Southeast.
Kylene loves animals and spends her free time volunteering for animal rescue organizations and assisting in animal adoptions or fostering.
- GME program adds value to Gainesville and Hall County Communities
- Why did Northeast Georgia Medical Center start a GME program?
- Meet John Delzell Jr., MD, MSPH, Vice President of Medical Education
- Meet Charles Richart, MD, FACS, FCCM, General Surgery Program Director
- Meet Nathan Creel, General Surgeon in Trauma and Acute Care
- General Surgery Residency Program video
About Northeast Georgia Medical Center’s GME program
Northeast Georgia Medical Center’s (NGMC) GME program is currently accepting applications for the Internal Medicine and General Surgery Residency Programs and will match the inaugural class in the spring of 2019. NGMC’s Graduate Medical Education program is designed to train residents to be leaders in the medical field as well as in the community. Learn more about the NGMC GME program.
About Northeast Georgia Health System
Northeast Georgia Health System (NGHS) is a non-profit institution on a mission of improving the health of our community in all we do. Our team cares for more than 800,000 people across the region through three hospitals and a variety of outpatient locations. Northeast Georgia Medical Center (NGMC) has three hospital campuses – NGMC Gainesville, NGMC Braselton, and NGMC Barrow – with a total of 713 beds and more than 700 medical staff members representing more than 50 specialties. Learn more at www.nghs.com.